Being able to survive a breakdown in spring, summer or fall is one thing but having to do it in the dead of winter is something totally different. Everyone should have an auto warranty or extended car warranty that covers breakdowns and roadside assistance to help get them out of a crisis situation, but what if you had to wait for that rescue to arrive? It could be that you are in the midst of a blizzard and you can’t get a signal on your cell phone and there is not a landline in sight. What are you supposed to do? We listed top 10 emergency items below.
This is why you should have an emergency kit handy at all times. Here are the 10 most important things you should have in your kit, particularly for travel during winter:
- Food – Emergency rations are important at any point of the year but you have to ensure that the food is non-perishable and high in calories.
- Flashlight – Always have one or two of these with plenty of batteries to keep it alive.
- Ice Scraper – You should always have an ice scraper so you can thoroughly cleanyour windows.
- Bottled Water – This is one of the most important items you could ever carry. Also have a couple of metal cups to drink out of. You can use this for melting snow and drinking that as well.
- Warm Hat and Gloves – Hypothermia and frostbite love to go after open skin. That is why you need to ensure you have a good pair of these items.
- Small Shovel – You can use this tool for various things like removing snow or digging a hole to sleep in.
- Tire Chains – Many states require that people drive with snow chains however, even if your state is not one of them, you should have a pair handy anyway.
- Pocket Heaters – These are great for giving you a small source of heat when you need it most.
- Blankets – These will save your life especially in the dead of winter. In fact, it is better than your vehicle’s heater in most cases.
- Cell Phone – With technology being like it is these days, having a cell phone to contact help is a must. Carry an extra battery with you just in case.